Sometimes, bugs could cause an application (including Sigasi) to hang, block, freeze and be dead. The user interface freezes and there is nothing you can do to bring the application back to life. If this happens, you can help us out by sending us a thread dump (i,e, the name and stack of every thread in Sigasi). To create such a thread dump, follow these steps.
Our FAQ contains an easier approach to obtain stack traces.
The instructions below are now obsolete.
Download and install the Java Development Toolkit (JDK)
Note that you can skip this step if you already have a recent JDK (> JDK 1.6 update 7) on your system.
Download and install the latest JDK version
Create a thread dump with VisualVM
- Start VisualVM (this binary is in the bin folder of your JDK installation)
- In the Applications view: connect to Sigasi by double clicking the
- Open the Threads tab
- Click the Thread Dump button
- send us an email with the output
- One design in one folder (blog post)
- No organization (blog post)
- Make Eclipse open files from the command line (blog post)
- Eclipse keyboard tricks: Editing code (blog post)
- The benefits of early detection (screencast)