Sigasi Studio is distributed online. It is available in two versions: as a stand-alone application or as a plugin inside a standard Eclipse installation. Your license gives you the right to use either version, at any time, at your discretion. Therefore, your first task is to decide which version suits your requirements, based on the description below. Depending on the chosen version, you should then follow the corresponding installation instructions.
The stand-alone application has the following characteristics:
- Recommended if you are not using Eclipse yet
- Installation is trivial: just unzip!
- Everything is included in a single download
- Well balanced set of features
- Optimized for VHDL and Verilog development
- Complete freedom to add and configure plugins
The Eclipse plugin has the following characteristics:
- Recommended if you are using Eclipse already
- Easily plugged in into your existing Eclipse platform
- Complete freedom to add and configure plugins
- Over one thousand eclipse plugins choose from
- Support for C, C++, Tcl and other languages
- Support for many version control systems
To download and install Sigasi Studio as a stand-alone application, follow the online Installation Instructions.
After downloading, choose or create a folder where you want to install
the software, and unpack the archive there. The archive contains a
single top-level folder called
sigasi. Inside the folder there is an
application startup file, also called
sigasi. Start the application by
executing this startup file.
If you are using RedHat Linux 6 or CentOS 6, you need to follow the Plugin installation instructions as explained here.
There are two ways to install the Sigasi Studio Eclipse Plugin:
- On-line installation of the Eclipse Plugin
- Off-line update site to install the Eclipse Plugin (only for customers with XL or XPRT licenses)
- You need to have at least Eclipse version 4.7.3a, nicknamed Oxygen.
- This Eclipse version and the Sigasi Studio plugin require at least Java 8.
- If you don’t have Eclipse installed yet, the C/C++ flavor would be good place to start. Just download (Windows 64 bit/Linux 64 bit/Other versions), unzip and start.
- We recommend you also increase the heap size for Eclipse.
For more information on system requirements: System Requirements
This requires the host where you install the Sigasi Studio Plugin to have access to our download server. After starting Eclipse:
- Click Help > Install New Software…
- In the Work with: field enter https://download.sigasi.com/updates/studio and press enter.
- Check the checkbox next to Sigasi Studio
- We recommend to install the optional features too.
- Click the Next button.
- The following steps are pretty self-explaining.
- After the installation you will need to restart Eclipse. Once this is done, go to Window > Perspective > Open Perspective > Other… and select the Sigasi Perspective. You can then close the Welcome View to show the Sigasi Views.
Installing the offline update site is very similar to installing from the main update site, where step 2 is replaced with these steps:
- Download the offline update site from the link you received from your sales representative.
- In the Install Wizard, click Add…
- Click Archive…, browse to the zip file you downloaded, and confirm with OK.
Next, continue with step 3. in the general eclipse installation instructions. It is recommended to disable the option Contact all update sites during install to find required software when installing the offline update site.
The license key can be filled in under Window > Preferences > Sigasi > License Key.
Sigasi Studio stores its projects on the file system in one or more workspaces.
When you start the tool for the first time, it will propose to create a workspace for you:
Although you can work with multiple workspaces, we recommend to use a single workspace for all your projects.
Sigasi Studio has an automated update system. When updates are available, you are notified by a pop-up window called Updates Available in the bottom right corner:
If you want to install the updates, click anywhere in the pop-up window. After a few seconds, a new window will appear with further instructions.
The updates can be postponed by closing the pop-up. You can perform the updates at any time by clicking the -icon in the status bar at the bottom of the screen.
It is good practice to first create a backup of your installation folder before running an update. This can be done by simply compressing the
eclipse or the
sigasi folder in an archive (zip file)
If you run Sigasi Studio as a standalone application, the automated update system will periodically check for software updates.
If you run Sigasi Studio as an Eclipse plugin, you may need to check for updates manually, by clicking Help > Check for Updates.
You can enable automatic updates by opening this preference page : Install/Update > Automatic Updates. Next enable Automatically find new updates and notify me. Feel free to modify any of the available options.
If the updates are not automatically fetched from the Sigasi Studio update server you are probably behind a firewall or proxy server. You can configure Sigasi Studio’s proxy settings in Window > Preferences > General > Network connections. If you can not add a firewall exception for our update site, the fall back solution is to download the complete application from our website. You can completely replace your old installation; all settings are stored in your workspace (the default is
workspaceSigasi in your home directory).